Friday 3 July 2015

Friday scones!

Summer is definitely here this week - it's 30 degrees outside, the sun is out, Wimbledon is well underway and it's time for a team meeting... what better recipe to try than scones?

Even by 9.30pm on Thursday, it was still a scorcher outside so firing up the over to make these was a little bit painful, but one of the most fantastic thing about scones is how quick they bake. Delia has two scone recipe offerings in her latest book - these are the straightforward 'Plain Scones' found on page 104 (I'll be making the Rich Fruit Scones before long for sure - it's a tradition in my house to have homemade afternoon tea with the Wimbledon final, so they will probably make an appearance this Sunday alongside a cucumber sandwich).



Under Delia's instructions, I purchased some Lurpak spreadable to make these. I probably would normally have opted for real butter, and although this worked out slightly more expensive (in spite of the special offer in the supermarket!) it did work really well. Delia does suggest a few ways to jazz up the standard recipe with buttermilk or natural yoghurt, but I stuck to the original recipe. She said it would make about 8 and I only managed to get 7 (I promise I didn't sneakily eat one!) but other than that they really did work out beautifully. They all got a nice rise, although not quite as perfectly as those pictured in the book, I was pleased with them.

They went down a treat at the team meeting with some homemade raspberry jam and some freshly whipped cream. They knocked any shop-bought scones I've ever had out the park, and the recipe couldn't be easier - they were in the oven within 10 minutes of deciding to make them, and out of the oven 10 minutes later. And oh so delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment