Friday 24 July 2015

Flapjacks - to crunch or not to crunch?

In spite of it being one of our busiest weeks for wedding cakes here at Chitty's Cakes, Julie has somehow found the time to make not one but two of Delia's recipes this week! The first, Flapjacks (on page 77 of Delia's Cakes and here), were a huge success. Delia offers two slightly different variations in the recipe depending on your tastes - either 225g or 275g of butter to cater for those who like them drier with a bit more crunch and those who like them rich and buttery respectively. Julie's not a big butter fan (in fact, when she remade Semolina Shortbread earlier in the week with butter, she took a bite and spat it out! I should add at this point that the rest of her family and those who tasted them thought they were beautiful) so she opted for the crunchy version.

The recipe all went smoothly - Julie didn't have quite the same shaped tin that Delia suggested, but they worked perfectly in the square one she had. The ingredients are all ones that people often keep in the cupboard (butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and oats) so they are a great treat to throw together without having to go out and buy any fancy ingredients.

As a big butter fan myself, I was a bit disappointed to hear it was the crunchy version I would be trying, but when I tasted my first (of many!) I was converted. At some point, one of us might try out the recipe with more butter to taste the difference, but they were really delicious. I make flapjacks, or something similar, all the time as my other half is a self-confessed granola bar addict. The ones I make for David always have lots of 'stuff' in them - fruit, seeds, nuts - whatever happens to be found after a rummage in the cupboard to be quite honest, (sorry love) so it was a refreshing change to have a good simple honest flapjack with nothing added, just a little dip in some milk chocolate. And I think they would have been just as delicious without the chocolate. Another recipe we would highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment